Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Waiting on the World to Change...

Am I the only one that is upset about this idiotic song "Waiting on the World to Change"? This was a letter I recently wrote to Oprah regarding John Mayer's visit to her show.

Dear Oprah,

This is the first letter I’ve written to you, certainly NOT the first time I’ve been inspired, but the first time I’ve felt compelled to write regarding your show. I’m a HUGE Oprah fan. My sister and I tivo your show and watch every week, sometimes a weeks worth of shows in one night. My daughters, Raegan, 5 and Reece, 2, know that you are one of my heroes and know of my hope that you will be one of theirs, as well. (my oldest easily recognizes you and Bono and can pick your picture (and his voice, as well) out of a crowd….that always makes my husband and me smile.)

I have been so inspired, especially this season, with some of your guests: Mr. Obama, whom I became a fan of a few years ago during his first appearance on your show, Mr. Denzel Washington, Corey Booker and now tonight, Mr. Christopher Gardner. Wow! Such amazing men! Their lives, their stories inspire me to be better – a better mother, a better wife, a better American. Their stories cross all boundaries of culture and generation. Their audacious hope is contagious and challenging. I appreciate these men and am thankful for the influence they have already had in my life!

A few weeks ago, I heard John Mayer’s newest song “Waiting on the world to change” and it infuriated me! I thought to myself, “I bet Oprah would hate this song, too. I wish she would have him on her show and tell him off!” When I found out you were having him on I couldn’t wait to hear what you would have to say about this ridiculous song. Obviously my hope for a good spanking did not come to fruition, and I understand why you were so diplomatic with him, but I find myself asking – as I continue to see this irresponsible song get more and more recognition – “Am I the only one angry about this?!”

AAGGGHHHH!!!!! When I first the heard the song, I felt sure that he was criticizing the young “men” of today’s lazy attitudes toward life and perhaps challenging the young men of America to make a change, empowering them with the truth that we can make a difference; we can change the world. (that’s one of the reasons that the Indigo Girls are heroes of mine because they are masters at that craft, and at promoting an overcoming attitude in the midst of oppression) I was shocked, however, when I realized he was actually promoting this lazy and reprehensible attitude!! What?!?!

As a 30 year old white female from North Carolina, I find myself wondering where in the world the young white heroes are? I am thrilled to see so many strong black men rising up and challenging us all to be better and to fight. Where are the white men? Are there any? Maybe it’s wrong to ask this question. Perhaps I should just be satisfied that anyone is standing up and making a difference – and I am, but I think when anyone looks at their own race of people there should be a bit of natural and healthy lens of critique. I don’t like what I see. My television shows me selfish little girls on Laguana Beach spending hundreds of dollars on weekly shopping sprees their parents regularly fund; A world where self absorbed men no longer honor women; Young people are too oblivious to give up their seats for an elderly citizen. I see a bunch of spoiled brats and it makes me sick!

I realize most of these issues cross cultures and even that there are much bigger issues in the world to conquer than these tiny examples I’ve mentioned. But, where are the heroes, the activists, the next Bono and Oprah, of this coming generation or, more importantly, the parents raising their children with these standards?

Am I being too harsh? I just can’t stand to hear these amazingly inspiring stories of hope next to a lazy and irresponsible message of “It’s not that we don’t care, we just know that the fight ain’t fair so we’ll keep waiting on the world to change….and one day when our generation is in control we’ll make a difference”!!!!!!! No you won’t, ‘cause you’ll be so used to sitting back and waiting you won’t have a clue what to do!!! AAGGHHH!!! I hate that attitude! It’s an insult to all those who have fought their way through trials and situations they didn’t like or think were fair. It’s an insult to anyone with hope! Shamefully, it seems to be the “young white American” way to think, and it is an utter embarrassment.

The reason why my husband and I raise our girls to be little activists and have heroes like you and Bono, the Indigo Girls and Mr. Obama, along with the matriarchs in my family, is because of the example of strength we wish to instill in them. As Mr. Gardner’s character in the movie said to his son, “Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. If you want it, go get it”, we also feel that every life is a gift ordained for a special purpose. We don’t teach the girls that they can do anything they want to do, because it’s not true or in their best interest. (I think the audition tapes for American Idol prove that point well enough) We do, however, teach them that they can do ANYTHING the Lord calls them to do. No calling is too big for them. Whatever calling God has put on their lives, he’ll give them the strength to conquer, but they have to work for it, fight for it and make sacrifices for things that are really important.

I know I can make a difference in this world by how my husband and I choose to raise our girls, and the kind of example I set for them with my life. I don’t buy into the lie of John Mayer’s song, that because the fight isn’t fair, I can’t fight. I am a fighter. I am raising little fighters, and we will change this world! Don’t tell me I can’t do something! Inspire me to do more.

Thank you, Oprah, for being one of those inspirations for me and millions of others. ….now can’t you please give John Mayer a good kick in the pants or at least call his momma and ask her to do it?!:)

Thank you for your time.

With all my respect and adoration

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Ok, I can't believe I'm about to do this, but I wonder if there isn't some defense for John Mayer. Not for John Mayer in general (aside from the fact that he's some sort of classically trained guitarist that can "wail" in a way I can't, I see JM as pretty irrelevant to me and everything else); but the song could have some value simply by being true. It seems to be a fairly accurate portrait of the way American youth (some of them @ least) see their situation as one of learned helplessness and hopelessness. But, when coupled w/ the video, the song may in fact present some sort of hopeful message, and not just "wait til we're in power and suddenly we'll magically start changing things." The video shows us several avant-garde street artists literally painting the town w/ sort of subversive and hopeful messages; the lyrics ring w/ apathy or hopelessness, but the video show people engaged in an insurgency (albeit one clearly labeled as not having broken any laws) w/ @ least some hopeful elements. And maybe that sort of action could move the system, just a little bit.

Like I said, I can't believe I'm making an attempt to rehab this song, and if other commenters shout me down I'll probably concede defeat and not draw this out any longer. But, I'm just saying, for the sake of argument . . . oh, nevermind.