Thursday, August 09, 2007

10 years...

First, a short note to say that we are all in NC, staying with my mom and having a wonderful time! We are spending much of the day in the pool, and visiting with my family. My brother has two little girls the same ages as Raegan and Reece. They all love each other so much. We've tried to see them every day. Fun! We're going out on my uncle Ron's boat tomorrow, on lake Wylie!

The title of this blog is referring the fact that today, August 9th, is mine and Gavin's 10th wedding anniversary! Wow! I had no doubt, as we stood in Alexis Baptist church exchanging our vows, that we would celebrate this day, but had no idea, of course, all these 10 years would bring into our lives.

Gavin is traveling today, but he surprised me with a pedicure and manicure at my favorite spot, here in Cornelius. We've talked on and off throughout the day, and we'll be heading to Charleston, SC on Sunday, where we spent the first night of our honeymoon, the Vendue Inn. We are so excited. We'll be there through Wednesday. It's our first time back there in 10 years. (Elle will be with us because I'm still nursing, but Rae and Roo are staying with my mom)

I don't usually spend our anniversaries thinking about our wedding day. I think I'm usually too busy trying to make the day special. But with Gavin gone today, I had time to reflect on that really wonderful day. I was very blessed to kind of relive that blessed event.

Things I would change, first of all, to get it out of the way: THE DRESSES!!! All of them! I even designed those awful bridesmaids dresses, because I really wanted something extremely affordable, and something everyone could wear after the wedding was long over. Well, I seriously doubt if any of those dresses have ever again seen the light of day. They didn't quite turn out as I had envisioned, needless to say. I'm so sorry to all of my sweet bridesmaids who humored me and wore those dresses with smiles on your faces and without a single complaint.

I would also change my dress. UGH! I would go with something much more simple and definitely would loose that veil.

Enough of that.

The things I LOVED!! ...everything else. Really! I had so much fun on our wedding day. I loved everything about it. The moments that stick out to me the most are

...being in the back with my girls, listening to Drew, Drew, John and Sean sing "Emmanuel/Behold now the Kingdom" and lead the congregation in more worship. It was such a wonderful way to begin our marriage.

...Gavin having to stand on his tip toes to see me, over the people standing. It made me feel so special and beautiful to see his adoring eyes peeking over the crowd as I walked down the aisle.

...singing "Grace" by Wes King, to Gavin, after we had said our vows, and surprising him with it on the night of our rehearsal. I still remember how annoyed Gavin was when John started to play on his guitar, thinking that he was just playing around, until I began to sing and Gavin figured it out:)

...having Marty Dupree do our ceremony. He really brought so much humor and love to our ceremony.

...having the reception at our family home. We transformed our side yard with tents and a little dance floor, etc. It was a very special memory.

Over these 10 years the Lord has blessed us with three beautiful and strong girls. He has blessed me with a best friend, someone that challenges and excites me more than anyone I've ever known, a man that makes me feel beautiful, a friend that challenges me to be my best, an accountability partner who keeps me on my toes, someone who loves me and accepts me. I like who I am when I'm with Gavin. I love who we are and who we have become, as a couple. We have been blessed with a life filled with blessing and excitement.

Boston has left it's beautiful imprint on us, and now D.C., and N. Va are doing the same. Our lives have been blessed by moving when we felt pulled to move, giving up our comforts when we felt led to do so, surrendering our walls and being vulnerable with others seeking to build the Kingdom. Though we have survived some pretty tough knocks, whether by harming each other, or by others harming us, the Lord has been faithful to bring beauty from those ashes. I thank you, Lord, for every one. You are so good! You have redeemed us. You have restored us. We are a living testimony of your abundant love.

I pray for 50+ more years of life with Gavin, filled with the will to do and go wherever you lead us. I pray for your protection over our family; for long, healthy lives spent building your Kingdom. I pray for cups that overflow with blessing onto our families, friends and others around us. I pray that we would be known by our love, and that you would be glorified.

Thank you, Lord, for these 10 years. You are so good and I am so thankful!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

happy anniversary, sweet heart. my favorite parts of the day were seeing you come down the aisle and you singing to me. i miss you. can't wait to get home to you. i love you.

we have a blessed life. God has been extraordinarly merciful and gracious to us. here's to many more years loving each other and those wonderful children that God has given us.

Trish Ryan said...

Amen!
What a beautiful story - both of your wedding day and your reflections now, ten years later.

You guys are so blessed, and such a blessing to those of us who get to know you. Happy, happy anniversary. Here's to many more!!!

Anna Morrison said...

sniff. sniff. hand me a tissue please.
scott and i thought of you on the 9th as we were away. we have happy memories of your wedding day and the sweet time after we shared as couples. happy 10 years, friend! love you.

Julie said...

Don't worry, Em! We forgive you for the dresses. The thing I remember was what an incredible worship ceremony it was! Thanks for sharing your memories!