Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gavin is home!


After jet-setting for a few days around the.... ugh hum, a couple of states, Gavin, the rock star, has returned home!! We are all very, very excited about his highly anticipated return.

Those of you who know me well, know that I find it an occasional challenge to overcome the temptation of fear. I was, so tempted, this week while Gavin was away. My mom recently gave the girls the most adorable princess devotional book which we read each night. The devotional has one page with a letter from their King, and the other page has a prayer from the princess' perspective relating to the letter. It is so precious! Really! At first I was afraid it would be too cheesy, but it isn't at all. It's wonderful. I'll get the exact name, if you're interested.

But back to my temptation; The first day Gavin was gone the devotional was about not being afraid. ..very good, and appropriate since this was also the night that Leslie died (in Terabithia), and the power went out for a moment. The second night was about how to handle disappointment, loosing loved ones, etc. Okay, the devotional was great, but a little too much for me to handle as my husband still had a plane, and cab ride to survive before he would be home.

Normally, my mind would begin racing assuming that God was preparing me for some awful event. ...it doesn't take too grand an imagination to figure out where my mind was tempted to go... I spent much of the night thanking the Lord for loving me. I, praise the Lord, was able to focus on his love for me, for Gavin and for our family long enough to usher in that sublime peace that passes all understanding. Though I am still fully aware that "bad things happen to good people", I am content to focus on just trying to trust in the One that I know loves me and has a future for me. Hopefully, I am beginning a good habit!:)

Thank you, Lord for bringing Gavin home safely.

1 comment:

Trish Ryan said...

Yay! Way to overcome :)
You have more authority than you know, my friend, so don't be afraid to use it. The devotional your Mom gave the girls sounds fabulous...do pass on the title.