Monday, September 17, 2007

Ministry of Reconciliation

I've just begun a women's bible study at RBC (Reston Bible Church) on Thursday mornings. I'm very excited about it. I tried to do this last year, when we had first moved, but too many things were going on for me to commit the time and effort it requires. (btw, I can't believe it's already been a year?!?! What?!!!:)) So when the opportunity presented itself ...they've been doing this women's bible study ministry at RBC for over 20 years ...I jumped at the chance.

Childcare is provided for Elle, and Roo and Raegan are in school, of course. I am pretty sure that I'm one of the youngest, if not the youngest woman attending among the 50+ women, but there are several little babies in the nursery with Elle. The church gets older women from an assisted living facility near by to come and watch the children. They all love the children dearly and it is a wonderful little side ministry. The women get paid, too! It's a great idea. The older women are always sad to see summer come because they miss the children. I met all of them last week, as we all came in at the same time. They are really precious women.

I am participating in a Beth Moore study called "A woman's heart", based on the study of the Tabernacle in the OT. I'm excited to do a Moore study as my mom and sister have done several and always rave about their time spent doing so. I'm several days into the first week of study and I am intrigued. Not only is this the first time, in a long time, I've been challenged to really dig into the word on a daily basis, but this topic of the Tabernacle is not one I have studied since college, and then only briefly.

I'm sure I'll be writing a lot about what I'm learning through this study. The first thing to have caught my attention is the verse, 2 Corinthians 5:18: ...[God] reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation...

The ministry of reconciliation... I think of this, much like I do of chapter 1 in 2 Corinthians, a passage I have clung to for many years which says that He is the great Comforter who has comforted us so that we may comfort others. We have been reconciled so that we may be bring reconciliation to the world. ...priesthood of the believers. ...which takes place, not through an individual, but through the BODY of Christ, us, His people. We have been given a ministry of reconciliation.

Though this may seem a trivial discovery, it took me aback. I don't recall ever hearing about this ministry before. I'm not really sure what it means...practically speaking. It certainly does make me think a little harder about my relationships and what it really means to share the life of Christ with others.

It seems this thought of "bringing reconciliation" is much more than being evangelical, though the act requires such a heart. Evangelism has taken on a connotation of an apologetic delivery of the gospel message. In other words, to be evangelical means that you "present", in argument fashion, the gospel of salvation. Whether that be through a brief explaination of the 7 Spiritual laws, or through many conversations, it is still a presentation of some form. ...it seems cold and distant, though delivered with the absolute best of intentions, no doubt. The word "reconcile", however, denotes a sense of healing. It carries a warmth that surpasses information or knowledge.

After three years of marriage, Gavin and I went through the most traumatic thing either of us had ever experienced in our marriage/life, and we understood the words "restored", "redeemed", "reconciled" in a much deeper way than we had ever imagined knowing. These words were personal. They were healing. Their realty was a blessing full of joy and new life.

Reconcile means:
To reestablish a close relationship between.
To settle or resolve.

This is our ministry to the world, through Christ, who has reconciled us, so that we may bring reconcilation to others. It's personal; it brings healing and, to participate, is a blessing full of joy and new life.

Lord, please continue to work this out in me. I still don't really understand what this looks like, but I want to.

thoughts?

2 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

I love that your definition includes the word "relationship." I feel like evangelism has gotten away from relationship, but reconciliation doesn't really have that option. It will be fun to hear your thoughts as God sorts through what this looks like for you :)

Anna Morrison said...

i was curious and i looked up reconcile in the thesaurus. i found the refreshing words ~ reunite and reevaluate.
i will enjoy learning with you. continue to share.