Tuesday, January 19, 2010

To Game or Not to Game...

That's actually NOT the question... Since I was a child I've loved to play games - who doesn't? Atari was our first family game system. My sister, brother and I loved playing "The Oregon Trail" and "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" on the computer (oh, how things have changed!). Things really got interesting in college when we heard of "The Age of Empires"! ...and cheat codes - thanks, Greg:)

I love having game night with the kids. They LOVE having game night. Some of our favorites are "Sorry", "Clue for kids", and "Cranium".

My two older girls each have a Nintendo DS and Elle has a Leapster - for our road trips. I try to get games that have some kind of educational value, but they are also just fun little game systems.

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about games ...not at all obvious, I'm sure ...and I was convicted. Now I know there is nothing inherently wrong with these games, but I learned a long time ago that everything we have been given can be used as either a tool or a weapon. That decision is ours alone.

I was convicted because I've been using games as a weapon, as of late. Reece's DS has been confiscated due to her inability to locate it when needed, and it sits beside my bed. When I can't go to sleep - or don't want to yet - I've been playing her DS.

I heard a whisper this morning: "What are you trying to escape from?" All at once thoughts of how to use that time more productively began flooding my mind. ...productivity isn't really the goal when I'm lying in bed at midnight, mind racing. But time with my Dad, is. Those are usually the sweetest times of my day.

The Lord has been speaking to me through Kim Walker:
You won't relent until you have it all
- my heart is Yours.
I set you as a seal upon my heart,
For there is love that is as strong as death
Jealousy demanding as the grave
And living waters can not quench this thirst.
You won't relent until you have it all
- my heart is Yours.

and

all to you I surrender
everything, every part of me
all to you I surrender
all my dreams, all of me

and

Where you go, I go
What you say, I say, God
Where you pray, I pray
Where you pray, I pray

though the world sees and soon forgets
we will not forget who you are and what you've done for us,
what you've done for us

...there is nothing wrong with playing games. However, when your dad is calling you? ...you better put down your games, whatever they may be, and run to His side, right? There is nothing in this world like the voice of our dad - His words are life. ...the games will still be there when I get back.

1 comment:

Anna Morrison said...

nice to read into your thoughts and heart. i hear some conviction, sister. :) i hear you. thanks for sharing. you inspire.