Thursday, February 26, 2009

Church Discipline

I've been studying this topic today because we are dealing with an issue that requires such action. As I've been studying the passages that apply, and reading articles from church leaders throughout time, I'm struck with a righteous anger.

It occurs to me that the absence of church discipline may possibly be the leading cause of the rising divorce rate within the Christian community.

I want to repeat that: The absence of CHURCH DISCIPLINE may be the LEADING cause of the RISING DIVORCE RATE WITHIN THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY.

Church discipline has gotten a bad reputation throughout the years due to either not being done according to the biblical guidelines or using it for the purpose of excommunication. The purpose of church discipline is NOT for excommunication. It is for the purpose of RESTORATION and RECONCILIATION! Excommunication can be a consequence of church discipline, but even that is still for the purpose of ultimate restoration and reconciliation.

My mom fought through over six years of submitting herself to my dad (six years of him lying about his affairs, being caught, becoming violent towards her, etc.) - literally laying down her life, her rights, her dignity - for his salvation. The church never stepped in and enacted church discipline. Why?!!! My dad was a deacon! My mom was a teacher. They were both very active in the church. Everyone knew my family. It's not like we were just some family that attended some local congregation.

The church turned it's back on it's responsibility to discipline my dad and their marriage was, therefore, given over to the enemy. It's been 10 and half years since that nightmare began, and we are all still dealing with the aftermath.

How common is this?! I shutter to think about the answer to that question.

What are we doing Church?! How many more marriages and families will we hand over to the enemy?! Let it not be, oh Lord! Have mercy on your church, and let it not be!! Rise up, CHURCH! What has the Lord required of you? To DO justly, LOVE mercy, and WALK humbly with the Lord your God. Rise UP!!

There are many interesting articles I found during my study. Here is one from bible.org regarding the reason, benefit, spirit behind and process of church discipline. Here is another article by Al Mohler that I found insightful.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You are absolutely correct, Emily. We're afraid of really getting involved in each other's lives, admitting our own weaknesses, and confronting sin in others(perhaps because it makes us look at our own sin differently and we'd have to take our own sin more seriously?) and it leads to apathy, destruction, and makes all of us in the Body miss out on the joy of being family. Why do you think we fail to discipline (or on a smaller level, confront sin patterns in a friend)? Do you think it's self-protection, lack of concern, fear, or something else?

Kim Eng said...

You guys are one of the most precious treasures in my life. I completely agree how apathy and passivity can destroy the body of Christ. Emily's testimony only shows how far we can all fall from the life we all are meant to live.---But of course--all these are matters of the heart....How well we all know this! Our hearts can be troubled, joyful, wounded, grieved, cheerful, broken, whole, divided, wise and foolish etc, .... And with a heart, comes something that just staggers me.....God gives us the freedom to reject Him....This will never make sense to me...nor will I ever enjoy witnessing a life that does!!! I need to have faith that God is God and He knows something that I don't....He knows what free-will can bring to the "unwilling". It looks to me like untold suffering, misery, and massive chaos. But perhaps, God knows exactly how to speak to this rebel's heart...right in the middle of his own twisted story of self....perhaps, just maybe, what if??? However noble is it...what if we are losing track of the most important thing....a heart where love is real and not pretended. A heart that is full of courage and conviction, just because to him (the rebel) the gospel became more than just a story. I fear that if we ever want a world full of unspeakable joy, one where love is real, we must allow each person the freedom to chose.... Other wise, will it just come down to Christian performance and activites wearied with business, pride and boredom? How do we lovingly spur each other towards truth, but also, accept freedom to fail? To be honest, these lines are very blurry to me...but even here--maybe especially here--it all seems to fall on a loving, sovereign God. Thankfully, its an adventure that I get to share with those that I love and need...
Kim Eng