Sunday, January 13, 2008

Blessings: A Reflection on 2007



For Christmas every year I make collage calendars of the coming year for my mom and grandparents. In addition I decided to make a dvd of the year in pictures. (Shutterfly rocks, btw:)) As I was going back over our year of pictures I was blown away. At the close of each year there is always an element of shock of some sort, disbelief of all that has transpired in 12 short months. Perhaps that will change as the children get older and our lives are no longer defined by the school year. But for now, and at this season of life with our children, it is quite shocking to reflect on a single year.

This year is especially shocking. It has been one of great blessing. Not necessarily monetarily, or materially, though the Lord has certainly more than provided all our needs and even many of our wants, but a sweet kind of blessing I don't remember ever having experienced in my adult life. I wish my words could give justice to what I feel. The only way to describe it is: a sweetly, peaceful, blessed year.

As I looked back over our pictures I was struck with the remembrance that Eliot was born this year. (I can't remember our lives without her and I'm dumbfounded that she only just entered our family) I am struck by how much my sweet Reece has matured and grown. She brings me such joy. I am pleased to see my very mature Raegan continuing to grow in her role as the oldest sister, and grow further in her understanding that she is a valuable and precious part of our family.

I fondly think about our friendship with the Wood family and how their friendship has ministered to us. Gavin hasn't had a friend like Sammy in years and it is precious and coveted. I couldn't be more thankful for the love we have found in them and their children. I am also blessed by the many friendships the Lord has brought us from Reston Bible.

We've been blessed to have many visitors this year: The Treas family, The Willis family, The Ryan family, Mr. Caine, The Dolan family, The Murriner family, our friend Jeremy Pryor, whom we've known for many years, our friend Marwa who brought her family from Israel, Nick's mom, Rita, my precious grandmother whom we call "Mom", many visits from my dear mother. What a blessing each of their visits were to us!! We LOVE hosting and are always blessed by company. (So if you're reading this and haven't yet visited...get to it:)!!! We'd love to have you!)

We have missed my sister, Jenny, greatly while she has been gone on the "World Race" through Adventures in Missions (AIM). However, she also has experienced incredible blessing through her many adventures. She has seen and experienced more this year, than many do in a lifetime. The Lord is continuing to bless her trip. (She'll be home at the end of April)

Our dear friend and brother, Nick, who lives with us, is also experiencing blessing. He has come back to a passion of cooking and will be attending culinary school later this year. We are thrilled for him to be following this dream, and to see where it leads.

God is so good! We are so blessed! I couldn't be more thankful.

As I look ahead to the coming year, it is unclear what is to come. There is transition in the months ahead. I'm not nervous. I know our dear Lord is in control and I trust Him. I'm praying for clear paths. ..closed doors where our ambitions may vary from His, and wide open doors for the path He is leading us down.

I pray your 2008 is a blessed one, my dear friends and family.

All our love - Em

2 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

So THAT was what all that happy feeling was about when we visited you--God's peace and blessing!

We thought it was that you had back episodes of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE recorded on DVR...

:)

Unknown said...

well, truth be told, your presence was the main source of all the happy feelings...:) Are you looking for another vacation any time soon?!?! We need some Ryan love:)