Thursday, January 03, 2008

Date Night

Tonight was date night.....not mine and Gavin's date night.....Raegan, Reece and daddy's date night! This tradition was born long before Rae first looked at her daddy with a sparkle in her eye. My dad used to take my sister and me out on dates. Those were extremely formidable times and they are proving to be so for my little girls, too.

A few weeks ago Rae wrote Gavin a letter asking to speak to him seriously, in private about something serious. I'll have to find the letter and write out exactly what she wrote...it's hilarious! Anyway, the serious talk was about going on a date...at night...just the two of them. (Rae decided tonight that it would be okay if Reece came along, too) She wanted to go somewhere French because that's romantic. She also wanted to go somewhere where they could sit by a fire...because, you guessed it, that is romantic.

They both got dressed up in their favorite dresses, put some of their new make-up on that they got from their Aunt Gina for Christmas, fixed their hair all pretty and were ready to go. Daddy took them to Dante's, a very nice Italian restaurant, then off to Starbucks where they got a pumpkin spice latte. They had a beautiful time and were beaming when they got home.

It was very cute. I even got a few hours by myself to crash. Fun was had by all!

The love of a father is truly like no other for a little girl. I always knew my dad was proud of me and loved me. That knowledge, and lots of grace, got me through several sticky moments as a teenager who was boy-crazy. I'm very thankful for the love my dad poured on me as a child. I know the girls will only grow in their appreciation of these special moments.

1 comment:

Trish Ryan said...

Oh Wow. Yay Gavin. Yay You. You guys are such amazing parents, and your little girls are becoming amazing people.

Inspiring :)