Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Does "Evangelical" equal "Republican"?


The blog I wrote yesterday stirred up a feeling of sadness and wonder....and a little frustration, about the state of our current "evangelical" community. Why does being "evangelical" also mean "republican", particularly in the south? I know that certainly used to be true for me during my legalistic college days, mainly based on the issue of abortion, and more recently gay marriage.

Christians should, however, be the first ones to defend the rights of those being discriminated against, or even less fortunate. There is a biblical narrative about helping the poor, consistent throughout scripture. There is a biblical narrative about the Holy redeeming the unholy. The current "evangelical" church is good about going to other places, foreign countries, inner cities, etc. for mission opportunities, but what about the everyday needs of our neighbors. What about daily fleshing out the consistent message of Christ? What about the homeless we pass on the street? Where is the "evangelical" church for those people?

Why aren't the greatest known activists Christians? Why aren't Evangelicals known for feeding the hungry, serving the poor, really loving their neighbor, (including the one's they disagree with) instead of being known as a judgmental, hypocritical people? Are these unfair accusations? Or have we just not chosen to love enough? Have we just not chosen to care enough for those around us? Have we just not chosen to put others needs above our own? Have we chosen to judge and divide instead of unify? Is this why the "Christian" people are more unified, and find our identity, in our differences (Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc) rather than by our core beliefs?

Have we chosen to oppress rather than redeem?

One of the greatest growths our Christian culture has experienced was after the plagues in Rome. Christians were the ones giving up their lives to serve those dying and afflicted by the plagues. Christians were sacrificing their well being for the well being of those around them...true love. The results were astounding. We are still reaping the benefits of those who choose to take care of the needy rather than save themselves.

BTW, the abortion rate is the lowest it's been since 1974, the year after it was first made legal. This is NOT due to any political or legislative action. Roe vs. Wade is still in the books. I propose it is because hard working volunteers have put themselves out there to educate and love those in need, or have been deceived, or have been irresponsible, or have been abused or raped... The many who have formed women's shelters for the purpose of serving and educating women and girls in need have made the difference. This is how I choose to fight abortion. ...by supporting women's shelters that lovingly educate rather than judge, almost all of which are Christian-based...doing exactly what the church should be doing - it's great! This is a great example of the Holy redeeming the unholy.

Politics and legislation can not teach morality or educate our children on how to make good choices. That is the responsibility of our families and our churches.

Let me address gay marriage for a moment (I realize the depth of this subject and the difficulty in discussing it, but here I go): I've struggled with this a lot. As a Christian I oppose gay marriage. Marriage is an institution of the church. As an AMERICAN I support civil unions. Unions are not an institution of the church and yet give the basic rights that married couples are afforded.

According to Answers.com:
Civil Union is a ceremony between same-sex persons which conveys to them certain aspects of marriage for purposes of that state's laws (but not those of other states or the federal government). Rights are conferred in respect of property and probate law, adoption, insurance, hospital visitation, and wrongful death actions as well as insurance and state income tax laws.

I don't agree with the gay lifestyle - but if I believe that everyone is created equal and therefore must be given equal rights...how can I deny these basic rights to any American? If we deny rights, through legislation, because it fundamentally goes against what we believe, then we are treading on some very thin ice concerning our future rights. We MUST protect the rights of all Americans, including those we don't agree with to ensure our rights will be protected, as well.

We must approach this issue, as Christians, outside of the political realm, and choose to love those we disagree with; we must ACCEPT those we disagree with. The Holy Spirit is the only one that can change a sexual preference, not a legislation or judgmental rhetoric. Our doors need to be open to our neighbors, regardless of sexual preference. We must stop trying to oppress and discriminate against our gay brothers and sisters.

When we close Sabbath every Sunday night, part of the ceremony is lighting the braided candle (the Havdalah, pictured above) which represents the separation of the Holy and the common (or unholy). We talk about how the Holy is not meant to oppress or look down on the common, rather it is meant to redeem the common. We have not been set apart, as the people of God, to look down on, judge, or oppress the gay community, we have been set apart to redeem the gay community. We can not do that through discriminating legislation.

So, I guess I'm left with the question, again, why does "evangelical" equal "republican"? Is overturning the abortion law and denying American citizens basic rights really more important than meeting the needs of the poor, protecting the rights of every American and therefore protecting our freedom. Is that more important than providing an affordable health care to so many without, who are dying every day because they can't get help? Where are the Evangelical activists standing up and fighting for the rights of the poor, homeless, sick, and needy? Where is the redemption in this sort of philosophy or politic?

I would love to see a swing in thought....that "evangelical" equals "educated voter" in the realm of politics. I believe Obama can make that transition easier for anyone who will take the time to educate themselves on the issues, rather than listen to whatever the news media (namely Fox news) propagates.

I put these questions out there to my fellow evangelicals because I do believe we can change. We can be the instruments God uses to redeem the common. For my brothers and sisters, whom I love, I ask....am I wrong? Am I totally off base?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,

Wow, what a great post, it is very thoughtful and deep, I really enjoyed reading it. Anyways, just one more quick question.

1. What role does Scripture take in your ideas and opinions, or rather what are you basing your statements on? What is your view on the authority of Scripture?

I guess that was two, thanks again, you have a lot of great thoughts and points that I agree with in your post but I am just curious about where all this fits in with the Bible.

Drew

FreeK said...

I was going to comment on yesterday's post until I read this one. You've raised a lot of good questions and both blogs have been very thought provoking. Having lived outside of the Bible belt for a few years now its easier to see things from a different perspecitve than what we get on conservative talk radio. I look forward to seeing how you answer Drew's question. I love you girl! I agree our college days lended themselves to legalism, but I know they also grounded us in the truth and helped us see a Christian family at work (as you've mentioned before). By the way Obama is in Madison tonight, I would like to go :). But most likely will not.

jbro said...

Thank you SO much for your posts. I am incredibly jealous that you got to meet Obama. I love that you took the girls too, I am so impressed by how you and Gavin have chosen to raise them up in the way they should go.

I must give my complete backing to everything you have written in the last couple of blogs. I see on a daily basis the most needy around the world and you know my heart & calling for the needy in America. My spirit is encouraged when I get to hear others within the church recognize our disregard for Christ's calling. We, as the church, have got to wake up to what our real job is; to serve and speak for those with no voice. The Bible says in Proverbs to: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." In Matthew Jesus speaks through a parable to teach us how to love one another: "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." He also said that we would be known by our love. I don't think He was referring to our love just of one another, He also challenged us to love the unlovable. Would we not all agree that those lost and in sin are prisoners, strangers, & thirsty for living water?

The defenders heart in me breaks when I hear the authority of scripture called into question over views that so clearly support scripture and the love we have been called to, throughout the New Testament. We love because Christ first loved us and we are loved in spite of our sin. My God says that all sin is regarded as equal and I am certainly not free from sin. So, are my gay brothers & sisters & those who have been so desperate or unloved that they chose abortion not in the same boat?

So the question becomes what do we consider love and whom do we deem worthy of that love?

I feel strongly that we should be interceding for Obama & his family constantly. He is an agent of change stronger than we have seen since the Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr. days. He needs a covering!

By the way, I love it when you get fired up! I miss getting to have these conversations with you. I can't wait to be back in the US so you & I can go volunteer for Obama's campaign together.

tu hermana pocito!

Anonymous said...

Jbro,

You recently qouted Proverbs saying "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." I totally aggree, what a wonderful scripture.

However, would you not agree that this includes the unborn? Does it not break the heart of God when an unborn child is destroyed in it's mothers womb. How many "agents of change" have been aborted since 1974?

Please understand, you are right that we are called to love, gay or straight, it makes no difference. But sin is sin. The Bible, both old and new testaments, are very clear about this.

Let me wrap up my time on this blog by saying thank you to you all for raising such great points and ideas. You are right about love. Let us love as Christ loves and let us cling to the faith we all share. Please understand though that I base by argument on the fact that I believe scripture to be the blueprint for our lives. I believe it to be holy, God inspired truth and I believe it's principles are as applicable today as they were when God first gave them to us.

Yall take care...

Drew