Monday, February 04, 2008

Our Very Own Groundhog





Gavin's birthday is on Groundhog's day. This blog entry is in celebration of his 32 years of life. I asked the girls what they thought about their daddy and this is what they had to say.

Raegan: I'm thankful that he's my daddy because he's a great daddy. He takes care of me by picking me up when I fall and he cuddles me. He tickles me and he loves me. He's very handsome. He's cute as a bunny. Daddy's funny.

Reece: Dear daddy, I hope you feel better. I really, really hope you feel better. I love when daddy tickles me. Daddy goes to his office and works. He is so handsome. I love when daddy picks me up from school....just daddy. He drinks coffee. I love drinking coffee with him.

Gavin is an excellent father. I knew he would be a wonderful father when I met him in college - when we were just friends. We used to have "gatherings" at our sunday school teacher's home, with his wonderful family. (The Critcher family consisted of Roger and Denise, and their four children: three girls and one boy. We learned a lot about being the kind of family we wanted to be from them.) Gavin was always so great with the children.

I, and our girls, are so blessed to have him as their daddy. He plays with them, dances with them, teaches them, takes them on dates, listens to them. He's amazing. I always knew he would be an amazing dad, but he has exceeded my expectations.

Gavin is a wonderful husband. We've learned a lot over the past 10 years. Even last night I was reminded how far we've come, by his leadership, as a couple. I always hoped we would have a great marriage, and he has exceeded my expectations.

Gavin is the most fascinating person I've ever met. He's smart, savvy, can play pretty much anything once he hears it. He's classically trained and also plays the piano by ear. He's my personal accompanist, and I couldn't ask for a better one. He's deceptively athletic. (He kicks butt and takes names on the basketball court:)) He enjoys talking about anything from sports to theology. Gavin is a very talented writer, also. He enjoys art in it's many forms, and encourages me in my endeavors to be artistic...I've never known anyone like him.

One of the best things about Gavin, for me, is that he recognizes my strength and enjoys it. Instead of being threatened by my drive and determination, he sees it as one of his strengths, as well. That is a treasure!

We've come a long way together. We were married the summer before our senior year in college. We were too young to understand the gravity of our decision, but the Lord was gracious enough to see us through some tough years, bringing us out stronger on the other end. We were both very strong and passionate. We still are, but the Lord has been gracious enough to temper this passion and strength with wisdom and humility along the way. Though the praise and glory belongs to our gracious and faithful Lord, it is also because of Gavin's obedience and leadership that our family is able to have this testimony.

We still have a long way to go in this journey of faith and growth, but Gavin has earned my trust, that he will do everything in his power to be sure that we follow, and do, whatever God calls us to do, and go wherever God calls us to go - that we will seek first the Kingdom of God and trust in Him to provide everything else.

I always dreamed to marry someone who would be a spiritual leader for my family, and Gavin has exceeded my expectations.

From the first time I met Gavin, I knew he was special. I knew he would do great things. I knew it was a special thing to know him and call him my friend. I never dreamed of calling him my husband, during our years of friendship. I am blessed to be his cheerleader, friend, encourager, fellow comedian, dance partner, lover, partner in this journey.

Gavin, I always knew you were special....you continue to exceed my expectations. I love you! Happy Birthday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

just goes to show how blinded by love my girls are to call me "handsome."

babe, you are very sweet to write this. i love you very much. you continue to amaze me.

love, gavin

Trish Ryan said...

Awww!

THIS is why we love you guys. Talk about belief that God can and does exceed our expectations. Thanks for being such a great example of how rich life can be.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gavin!

Anna Morrison said...

Well said, Emily, well said. Gavin indeed is all that you have mentioned.

Gavin, we are so thankful for the gift of . . . you.
Happy Birthday to you kind friend. We always think of you on Feb 2nd.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Gavin! You have earned and do deserve the respect both your wife and daughters give. I can't imagine any better compliments...

jbro said...

happy buttday pgavin. Sorry it's late, and through your wife's blog but, I don't have your new email and I haven't had internet. (I can hear your response already...excuses, excuses) Anyway, what Em says is true. You really are an awesome dad and I love the way ALL our favorite girls love you.

May God continue to pour out His abundance of blessing, wisdom, favor, and love on you this year! (Or at least till I get home and can whip your sorry self back into shape!)

From,
Your favorite sister-in-law