Monday, February 25, 2008

Unity in the Church

This topic is one that has occupied many conversations between Gavin and myself for years. It is a passion of Gavin's. I completely support him in his leadership of our family to pursue this great endeavor. The Lord has certainly gifted him in many areas and given him a vision - which is exciting and very challenging.

I've learned so much from Gavin throughout the years. One of the most fascinating points he has brought to my attention is that when Luther, father of the reformation, died - he died a catholic. Luther never intended a split in the Church. His hope was to reform the Church - capital "C".

The reformation began a trend that has spun out of control today. New denominations are formed so easily with no tie back into the historical Church, the body of believers that span all the way back to the early church. We have forgotten the importance of being unified as a People. There is no Christian culture. We are known more for our hypocritical stance on political issues, and judgmental attitudes toward the world than by our love or even core beliefs.

No one denomination has it all right, clearly. After all, it is made up of a bunch of sinful humans. That being said, however, we do hold some core beliefs.

The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day He rose again.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Holy Catholic Church,
the communion of Saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. AMEN.

We have these beliefs in common. Isn't everything else up for conversation? Is worship style really worth separating the Church over? What about predestination? Once saved always saved? Sprinkle or dunk? ...........

These are important discussions, true. I don't mean to belittle their relevance, but when compared to our core beliefs, and the value that our Lord had for his Church to be unified, doesn't it seem kind of silly in the end, to be separated over issues outside of these core, fundamental beliefs?

I have studied church history. I have studied the reformation. I have studied the crusades. Granted I am no scholar and have much room to learn, but it seems like, in our post-enlightened era, we should be able to come closer to unity, as a body of believers.

The sacrifices believers made throughout those tumultuous years is astounding. So many martyrs... I do not mean to down play their great passion and sacrifice. Hinds-sight being 20/20 however, couldn't we as the Church take a more sober look at our faith, here in 2008?

The Italian culture is widely known. The Greek culture is widely known. The Muslim culture is widely known. The Jewish culture is widely known. ...how is the Christian culture known?

1 comment:

Trish Ryan said...

An interviewer asked me recently how the church could do a better job of being accessible to folks like me who consider ourselves "outsiders" yet somehow wander in. After the interview, I realized what I wish I'd said: Stop fighting in public. I understand the long tradition of iron sharpening iron among religious leaders, but now various pastors simply take shots across the bow at anyone who disagrees with them, and it can feel like you're caught in a crossfire to a new visitor.

So all that to say...you're right :)