Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The People of God in Multi-Cultural Politics

This is Gavin. As the resident theologian in my home, I'll try to help you understand our theological position. Emily could probably explain it better, but I've spent money on a theological education and feel that I should put that investment to use. :) It's so good to connect to you guys. I love the discussion. Emily and I have been talking about you guys and about this discussion all day. I'm glad that we can discuss as thoughtful believers who are seeking to build God's Kingdom. Really, it is so good to connect, Drew, to you and your wife. We pray blessings on your home.

On question #1: In our home, the Holy Scriptures are the supreme authority. We are radically orthodox in our theological positions, which spans from our view on the Church and the Holy Spirit to our view on the Scriptures. In fact, one of our missions is to reclaim the Biblical Narrative (see Hans Frei's Eclipse of the Biblical Narrative) in the Church's thought and culture. Quite literally, I intend to write a book on the subject of that previous sentence. But for now, understand that we are strongly orthodox in our position on the Scriptures.

Let me raise my first point: What are the Scriptures and for whom are they intended?

Are the Scriptures a Theological Handbook or a Systematic Theology?

If the Scriptures are intended to be a theological reference work or a systematic theology, then they fail horribly. For example, the drive of the work of Christ and the theology of the New Testament is to create the Church, the People of God who live under a New Covenant. If the Scriptures were a theological handbook, then why don't we have a clear, cogent ecclesiology (philosophy of Church)? Some may argue that we do, but theologically that is tough to support and by all means, the fruit of Church History does not support that idea. If they are not a theological reference work, what are they?

I believe the Scriptures are first and foremost our genealogy. The heritage of our People is recounted in the Scriptures. When I tell my children stories about Abraham, I describe him as our Great^(n) Grandfather. The Scriptures describe how God has and does interact with His People. The overarching Biblical Narrative is God's redemptive story that begins with Creation, goes through the Fall, to Redemption, to the Church (as His New People) to Re-Creation. Our family tells that story through a Sabbath rite every week. It is the core of the Scriptures and the substance of our identity. But the Scriptures are not about ink and text; they are about flesh and blood. God's desire has always been to incarnate Himself. He demonstrates that in Jesus and when Jesus ascends and the Holy Spirit descends, He incarnates Himself in the Church - the Body of Christ. I say all of that to remind us in this discussion - do not look to proof texts to support your arguments. The Scriptures are not a theological handbook; they are the lens for God's People to live and act.

With that said, Drew, let me put your mind to rest. Our family is anti-abortion. We feel that position coincides with the Biblical narrative. We advocate the sanctity of marriage, for we believe that it tells the story of Christ and His Bride (see Ephesians 6). However, we must keep in mind that the Scriptures are the narrative and the lens of life for God's People - (AND THIS IS A CENTRAL POINT) - The Scriptures ARE FOR GOD'S PEOPLE, not the lens of life for all people.

I'll repeat that - the Scriptures are the narrative and the identity for God's People. Every one in this country does not fall under the umbrella of being one of God's People. This country is a multi-cultural country, not a country of Christian culture. (I even argue that the Church (broadly defined) has lost its Christian culture, but that is another chapter in the book). The largest question is how do Christians, who believe in the Holy Scriptures, bring the culture (the ways of God) to a nation that has forgotten Him? And this gets to the core of this conversation, "Should evangelical Christians legislate the Kingdom of God into effect?"

My answer is unequivocally, unmistakably - NO! If we think that we should legislate our Christian world view into effect, then we have bought into the ways of the world. The Kingdom of God is built on service; in humility; and yes, in weakness. If the Church should legislate the Kingdom of God into effect, then logic should hold that Jesus should have legislated the Kingdom when He was here on earth. In that logic, Jesus should have been a politician, not a homeless rabbi. But that is just it - Jesus changed by gathering followers. He changed by making disciples. And His charge to us was to make disciples.

As Emily mentioned, one of the highest periods of Church growth was during the plagues in Rome, when Christians served, even though it could have cost them their lives. In fact, Constantine reacted to that Church growth by institutionalizing Christianity, which may have turned out to be one of the worst things for our Faith. Christians cannot lose sight that we create change through service and love. It is the essence of the Gospel. The minute we try to gain power by the means of power, we have forgotten the Gospel. Paul would write a scathing letter to us, telling us to remember the Gospel. When we want to effect social change, we have to resort to loving and to making disciples. Any other way, negates the Gospel and that is the core of our identity.

This statement should then beg the question, "Then why, Barack Obama?" We live in a multi-cultural nation. Christians are People of the Scriptures and a People of God's Ways. But when Moses gives God's Law in Exodus 20 and when Jesus (in parallel) gives the New Law in Matthew 5 - 7, that Law is never for the sake of salvation - not even in the Old Testament. Remember, God's People have already been saved from Eqypt before the Law is given. The Law is the rule for how God's People function - EMPHASIS - how GOD'S PEOPLE function. In other words, to legislate our Law (our ways of living and thinking) on people who do not follow God is dangerous and unbiblical. We must welcome people into our fold and DISCIPLE them into the ways of God, not LEGISLATE them into the ways of God. If we try to legislate them into the ways of God, then we KILL the discipleship process. So back to the question, why Barack Obama?

Barack Obama advocates for the freedom of all people. I am passionate about the freedom and equality of all people. Christian love is real when we can demonstrate that we love, no matter if we agree. As Tim Keller argues, Christian love does what Liberalism cannot do - it loves. In other words, Western Liberalism has sought to foster non-confrontational tolerance. But it cannot tolerate intolerance. Christians are to love no matter what - if you are tolerant or intolerant. I want homosexuals to have the freedom to live as homosexuals. I want people to openly advocate what they believe. In other words, I want the way they think and believe out in the open. I want to talk about it. I want the opportunity to love a person who does not advocate what I believe to be the culture and the ways of God. I prefer love and discipleship to legislation. Does legislating our belief upon people who are not our people transform their lives? Does it create disciples? If not, then how can we advocate it?

Rather, I want a society where all can speak freely and where all are treated as equals. We cannot try to legislate a Christian culture; we must advocate an open multi-cultural dialog so that the Kingdom of God can come from transformed lives - NOT from oppressed lives. Barack Obama is trying to restore the rights of the middle class. He's trying to get rid of the lobbyists who control Washington. He's trying to get us on an equal playing field and that's what I want. That is a cultural ethic that we can all agree to, especially Christians. We cannot allow special interest groups to impose their policy on the middle class any longer. If we allow that, the divide between middle class and the upper class will rip our country apart. If that requires more taxes, then tax me! I have been blessed to make a good income, tax me. Don't tax the middle class. Don't give a tax break to the upper 1.0%. Let's give the people an equal playing field and a voice to say what they believe so that we can get to more important things like life and discipleship.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

(this is Emily) I also wanted to respond to what Kim said....you are so right, I cherish our college years. They are, by far, the highlight of my Christian training. I think it's a very natural thing for young Christians, who are excited and passionate about learning and following and doing whatever it may be that the Lord is revealing, to trend on the legalistic side. I'm thankful for those years because they did give me a foundation to build on. I must also praise the Lord for you specifically, Kim, for playing a HUGE part in my excitement and love of the Lord during those years. I love you so much and am thankful for our friendship. You are a precious friend. Thank you for loving me:)

Also, a big thanks to Gavin for articulating our beliefs so well. You're my hero:)

Drew, I can't tell you how excited I was to get your response. Not only am I excited about getting back in touch with you, but it's also great to meet your wife and family through your blog. I love her passion. You two make an amazing couple, I'm sure.

I LOVE this kind of thing!!! It thrills me to have comments and discussions regarding these issues. Thanks for indulging me:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Gavin and Emily,

You guys are great, I really appreciate your openess!! Just to clear up a few things, this is Drew. Dusting is married to Daphne and they have the blog, I just enjoy reading them all. Anyways, I am married to a girl named Fran who is from South Carolina and we have two daughters, Evie 2.5 years and Mary Fran 1 year and number 3 on the way, due in October.

Gavin, thanks for a great post. I agree with much you have written and would like some time to digest it all before commenting further. Once again though it is great to talk with you guys and I hope we can stay in touch in the future!!

Blessing to you.

Drew and Fran Petrey

Unknown said...

Drew!!! I'm so sorry! You're right! I always did get you guys mixed up!:) You should have a blog!!!! I would love to see pictures of your family and know about your wife. I'm sure she's quite extraordinary, as well!

much love, Drew:)

Unknown said...

also, CONGRATULATIONS! about your new pregnancy - blessings over Fran during these months and over that precious little one growing inside of her. Our youngest will be one in March. It's such a fun age:)

FreeK said...

So basically you are saying you can't legislate morality (a quote from Mitch). We have also enjoyed great dialogue about your posts and had already been discussing these issues before. Mitch was saying last night that Paul worked within the system of slavery to spread the gospel. I agree with you Gavin that the gospel is what is most important, not politics when it comes to changing peoples hearts. I just think it is hard for us as believers to vote for someone who is pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. These are the things we have held dear and voted for since we have been old enough to vote. That was before we payed taxes and had to buy our own health care. I'm not saying these things lesson our desire to see Roe v. Wade overturned or to uphold the sanctity of marriage. I am saying that Republicans need to be more than a party that is against abortion and gay marriage. I really feel like they have lost touch with the middle class. For example during one Republican debate Mike Huckabee said that health care costs should start with taking better care of ourselves. I agree, but I also know that cancer is no respector of persons and that we have a real crisis when it comes to health care in our country.

I guess all I'm saying is that this is the first time in a while that the answers for president aren't clear cut for me. I wish there was a candidate that I could support wholeheartedly. I really like Obama (have read his book and am very interested to hear what he has to say). I cannot say that I would vote for him.

I love you guys and I am glad to hear your thoughts and know where you stand on these things, but more importantly on the Word. I have to say I did have to read your post twice Gavin :)(it reminded me of our talks on Calvanism in college, what fun times!).

We love DC and would love to come visit sometime, Mitch wants to go to Mark Dever's church, do you know who he is? I still have great memories and pictures of our visit to Cambridge. That was a beautiful place.

Obama was in Madison last night, we saw the last 4 minutes of his speech from the Kohl center (people waited in line for 5 hours and were turned away at the door). Madison's motto is: Forward, I have no doubt he will do well in Wisconsin.

Love you both,

Kim

Unknown said...

Actually, to be clear, I'd say you should not legislate the Gospel. Or, you should not legislate ethics (a system of morals). Murder is a moral issue. Stealing is a moral issue. Morals are simply statements about right and wrong. But this conversation is about our culture (our way of living as Christians.) What is at stake in this discussion is what Christians REALLY believe about the Gospel. Do we believe that we influence by wielding power (through legislation)? Or do we really believe that the one who serves is the greatest?

I do understand you trying to simplify the discussion. But this is not just: "You can't legislate morality." This conversation strikes at the core of everything we believe about the Gospel.

Unknown said...

I do understand what you're saying and agree. Actually, I would take it further by asserting that close affiliation with any political party hinders the message of the Gospel. (I've seen this firsthand in Madison.) It should be clear that Jesus was no politician.

The Gospel transcends politics,politicians, and parties. If we hitch the Gospel to any of these then it must necessarily take a back seat. This is because there is no politician who has placed the Gospel of God as His top priority. And they never will. If the Gospel becomes political, then we have confined it.

The more biblical approach is to work within the system to proclaim the news that Jesus is the propitiation for our sins. This is what Jesus Himself did and seems to expect us to do as well. Take Onesimus and Philemon as an example. At one time they were at odds with one another. One a slave, the other his master. The grace of God, however, transformed both into brothers who bore a moral obligation to love and forgive one another.

Unknown said...

This is great!
..kim, one clarification: Obama supports civil unions, not gay marriage....I know that may seem like there's not much of difference between the two, but the fact that marriage is a Christian institution does matter. Civil Unions are not an institution of the church but recognize basic rights. ...just wanted to clarify that.

Mitch, HI!!!! So great to hear from you. I love what you said about making the Gospel political equals confining the Gospel. I completely agree with everything you said. Thanks for your input!

Unknown said...

oh, and Kim, I totally agree with what you were saying, too. I really liked Huckabee until I checked into his campaign page and was disappointed with how out of touch he was - like his FairTax proposal. I still like him and think he has great intentions but he's very short sighted, also.

....if Gavin's blog reminded you of college you would love our house, late at night after the girls are tucked away in bed!! It's great. My mom makes fun of us all the time for our "deep" discussions:) hahaha

I've never heard of the pastor you mentioned. I'll have to google him. We'd really love to have you out - the whole family!

love you:)

Unknown said...

Mitch - I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I'd also like to add that the Gospel does confront the political and the politician. In addition, it can change the political - just not by political means. Policies can change because people transform. But people do not transform because policies change.