Sunday, September 14, 2008

Obama vs. McCain not Palin



I promise I'm going to get back to what's going on in our family life. My dear friend made a comment on my last entry about how the Obama camp needs to refocus on McCain instead of Palin since he is the one Obama is running against.

I've posted this video because it's the press asking Obama why he's not engaging Palin more, and instead only speaking publicly about (going after) McCain... The media is going after Palin, and rightfully so - due diligence, not the Obama camp. The media has gone after Obama since he entered the race - again, due diligence. If she can't handle this scrutiny than she should not have stepped into the ring.

I appreciate that she is pro-life, as am I. But, with all the concerns of this country, I can not vote on only ONE issue. I've had so many "christians" questioning the faith of me and my family because of our choices to support Obama, that it is, frankly, ridiculous and extremely Pharisaical. When asked these absurd questions regarding the status of our faith, we refer them to Matthew 25.

...speaking of Matthew 25, here's a great website my friend, Wendi, sent me this week! Check it out!

5 comments:

FreeK said...

Hi Emily,

I hope you didn't take my question about abortion as me questioning your faith (I don't think you did, but as a woman I must know that I did not offend you). I sincerely just wanted to know how you guys wrestled with this issue because it really is the issue I keep coming back to. I also don't want to be a one issue voter and I think you know by now I think Obama has a lot of good answers to the issues that we face as Americans. I just wanted to know how you guys came to terms with the issue of abortion.

Matthew McDill said...

Congratulations on your new little one!

There is obviously much to say about all this, but just a quick thought on the abortion question:

As you know, I believe it is an important issue. But it is not the only one for me. I appreciate your reference to Matt 25 and pray for God's people to have his compassion for hurting people. It seem to me, though, that abortion IS a Matt 25 issue!

Hope you keep writing!

Unknown said...

Hi guys! I'm so happy to have input from both of you!
Kim, I, in NO way, thought you were questioning my faith and am definitely NOT offended by you raising the abortion issue. It is an extremely important issue. I love you, sister and I know you love me. You have complete free reign to voice your opinions here.:) I have had, along with Jenny and Gavin, MANY question my faith because of our Presidential choice...which I do think is ridiculous.
Matthew, you're absolutely right about abortion being a Matt. 25 issue. It is ONE of the issues I care about greatly. ...more to come:)
much love, dear brother and sister!

Unknown said...

I think we obscure Jesus' point by assuming that abortion is a Matt.25 issue. While abortion is murder and God certainly speaks to that, it is still absent from this text. All of the needs Jesus' addressed in Matt.25 concerned those outside of the womb (e.g.hunger, thirst, sick, et al). Scripture is clear that being pro-life means we care for life in and out of the womb. One thing this text demonstrates is that we cannot choose one over the other.

Matthew McDill said...

Hello Mitch, nice to run into you out here.

So would you conclude that the only real application of this passage and manifestation of his sheep are meeting the specific needs mentioned in this text? Do you not think he was using them as examples to point to a deeper principle? That being: when we we minister to those in need, it is as if we are ministering to Jesus.