Sunday, September 21, 2008

Whew! That was fun!

I have so enjoyed talking with you all, and hearing your thoughts on this very important election. Thanks for all your input!

This has been an exciting political season already. We've had so many theological discussions, with so many friends, around this topic of politics and the Christian's role.

It's been incredibly stimulating for me. I haven't had this much adult conversation and interaction around a topic, other than children, in quite some time. Thanks!!

Speaking to a dear friend of mine the other day, he told me how much he hates politics because it's so divisive. I agree that it certainly can be, and we've all witnessed that fruit at some point throughout the years. But I appreciate and value being able to speak to these very important issues, and debate, much the same way men debate over who the best baseball team is, etc.

Ultimately, God is sovereign and completely in control. Praise the Lord!! Though I believe it is important for Christians to be known by our love and service - in all aspects including politics - it is a wonderful thing to know that either way we are unified by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are building a kingdom that is not of this world. God is good and He is worthy of my trust.

I'm sure there will be more political talk to come, but in the mean time, know that I value you and your opinions. I encourage us all to be educated in our decisions, keep far from any spirit of divisiveness or mockery, and above all be known by our love.

much love,
em

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey Emily! I have so enjoyed your blog, especially the discussion your previous post provoked. I have never commented on any of your political posts only because even though I know my beliefs and have an interest in the upcoming election, I'm not following it quite as closely as you and others that have commented on your blog. But keep your posts coming! I love reading them and the responses they get. I think it's pretty impressive how many comments your last post got too! :-) Hope your pregnancy is going well!

FreeK said...

Hey Emily,

Sounds like everyone is at least motivate to think about this election and that is good. Mitch just bought this book that I think will at least help us, just thought I would recommend it. "What you should know about politics but don't" by Jessamyn Conrad. I haven't finished it, but it discusses the issues that we are facing in this election from both sides. It is non partisan.

One point she makes is that Republicans like small government when it comes to the economy, but big government when it comes to morality. Democrats like big government when it comes to the economy and small government when it comes to morality. This is oversimplifying everything, but in general it seems right.

Anna Morrison said...

Well said! I enjoy you so much!

Scott said...

Kim, the statement you included from the book is pretty much correct. Both sides want big government at certain times and not at others.

Scott said...

For even more fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5WiE6MnmCM

Matthew McDill said...

Amen, Emily.

Continuing with Kim's paraphrase:

This relates to my post on the role of government. According to Rom 13, the government IS responsible for morality: 'Rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad.' This also applies to morality in business. This is not legislating faith, just establishing peace and order.

Funny video, Scott.

Unknown said...

Matt,
I think your argument about the Rom.13 passage misses the point. This passage—as does every other one that addresses the state (1Tim.2:1-4; Titus3:1; 1Pe.2:13-15)—concerns the believer’s responsibility towards the gov’t, rather than the proper functioning of the state. We can’t draw from it the notion that God prefers limited gov’t involvement unless we read contemporary politics back into the text. True, the gov’t is responsible for maintaining civic peace; however, that’s all we’re told. Why? Because God is more concerned with His gospel than the functioning of civil gov’t (Prov.21:2). Likewise, He is more concerned that His Bride be focused upon the gospel than the functioning of gov’t (1Tim.2:3-6).

Matthew McDill said...

Mitch,

These passages are giving instructions to believers and explaining the rightness of this based on the God given role of government. I did not conclude from this that God wants limited government. I simply stated that "the government IS responsible for morality." You also wrote, "True, the gov’t is responsible for maintaining civic peace." That was my point. I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on.

Laura said...

Hi Emily!! This is Laura Abels Parker. I found your blog through Anna Morrison's blog. We are living in CO now, and have been for the past three years. I just entered the blogging world, and it is such fun. We have three now, too--2 girls and a boy. I don't have too much time tonite, but will def. look at your posts more in the future! your girls look so cute! i did read some of your thoughts on the election . . . have you read "red letter christians" by tony campolo? i have loved it--similiar ideas i think to what you are processing right now with faith and politics. anyway, just fyi. look forward to keeping up with you in the future! take care. tell Gavin we said hello!