Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eliot turned 1!








Eliot Katherine turned one on March 7th. We had a great time celebrating this little one.

Words that describe Eliot:

Feisty
Compassionate
Strong
Mischievous
Fearless
Determined
Precious
Great smile
Smarty Pants!!
Intuitive
Musical
Animated
Un-intimidated
"Elle's bells" (coined by her aunt Jenny)

.....and completely charming!

Eliot's personality has continued to amaze Gavin and me, with each new milestone. She is signing regularly; she loves to write...doodle, really; she loves music and dances every time she hears a beat; she tries to strum on the guitar; she love to "read" and be read to; she loves dancing with her daddy and me; she adores her sisters; she prefers to eat off of a plate and hold a fork; she babbles ALL the time and says things that resemble "I want that", "Thank you", while pointing to an object and then pointing to herself...She truly amazes us.

Elle is a great combination of Raegan and Reece. She has the curiosity and intelligence of Raegan, but the compassion and intuitiveness of Reece. She's very perceptive and can figure out something that puzzles her, like Reece, but understands the "rules" of her environment, like Rae.

I know I'm just a mom gushing over her child, but really, I have babysat and known a lot of children throughout my years and I have NEVER known a baby like this one. She is so tenacious and really sweet at the same time. She really does amaze and bless us so greatly. She brings us lots of laughter. She loves her sisters and always seeks to comfort them when they're upset; she also looks for any opportunity to pull their hair or take their baby....we've got our work cut out for us on this one.

Gavin says we've switched roles in the discipline arena. He accuses me of being a softy with her. I always promised myself that I wouldn't have the typical, spoiled last child (no offense to you last born's out there:)), but she is testing me on that... I feel like I'm still being pretty consistent with Elle, but I must admit that she has charmed me... Have no fear!! I know that loving and healthy parenting offers a balance between affection and discipline. I'm having no problem with the affection part, and will continue to try my best to be the disciplinarian she needs me to be.

...............pray for me:)

10 comments:

Anna said...

Congrats on the bday, Elle. Em, I didn't know that Elle and Alex are only one day (and a year apart). Alex's bday is the 8th.

Sounds like you've got a great one!

Anna Morrison said...

what a little cutie. one year olds are so much fun! enjoy her.

FreeK said...

She sounds precious! Our third, Noah has gotten away with a lot more than the first two. He is also very sweet and charming, but can also be mischievious. I think we all let down our guard a little with that third child. That's the joy of having more than one. Part of the discipline deal is that now you have three at very different ages you are having to discipline for completely different things. Its tough! But I can't imagine doing any thing else. I love how you take the time to write about each of your children on their birthdays, its sweet how well you know your kids. Love you,

Kim

Unknown said...

I enjoy the list of adjectives that you have written about your girls on their birthdays as to how much fun they are in your lives - I may be a copycat and do the same later on this year when Ruthie turns three! She sounds like she is a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

Hi friends!

Feel free to "steal" this idea:) I first did this for Gavin because his love language is words of affirmation, and was further inspired by Anna who took a few days (one per child) to emphasize her four children's likes/dislikes, etc.

What's mine is yours!! Enjoy!:)

Keri said...

Happy 1st Birthday little one!! The individual cake tradition is the best! Looks like she enjoyed it!

Anna said...

em,

What's your email address. I can't respond to your response on my blog...

Anyway, it's Tracey Morris that looks like she'll be getting married!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday, Eliot! You sound a lot like my little boy Ethan- he's so strong willed, but has the biggest heart! :-)
Your girls are precious, Emily!

jbro said...

She is absolutely a joy and I cannot wait to meet her again when I get back. Hopefully when she discovers that the computer voice is a real person she will not be too freaked out. I miss you all and I am sorry to hear about the sickness. Hope you all are on the mend soon.

Happy Birthday Elle. Hears hoping I do not miss another one!
Aunt Jenny

Trish Ryan said...

You're an amazing Mom, and your girls are brilliant and wonderful. I'm not worried about your discipline levels one bit...Elle's gonna be just fine :)