Monday, March 03, 2008

My little Hiatus


I'm back from a weekend away with some other women from RBC. We went to a Christian conference center called Sandy Cove. It's located right on the bay, in Maryland. I got to look out over the water every morning and see the sun set every night. It was a wonderful time of reflection, fellowship, rest, working through some thoughts, and service.

I got to do what I have been gifted to do best: gather! The Lord has blessed me with the ability to be drawn to people that need a friend. (I also got to play guitar and sing on the worship team!) I met lots of really great women - young and old. I made some friends:) I got to minister to some women. It was really great to be used. I haven't really been able to use any of these gifts since we moved here.

The nice thing about this retreat is that, although I was meeting a lot of new people, I was also able to steal away and have some alone time to think through some things and reflect over the past year and a half that we've been here in the D.C. area. I can clearly see how this time has been a season of much needed rest. From the moment we arrived here (though I came with a very resistant heart), I felt rescued. We have been blessed with a wonderful home that enables us to host friends and family again - which we thrive on and blesses us so greatly. We have been blessed with enough finances to get through each rough patch. We have been given a sweet season of rest in a unique way, that we have never experienced before. It's been wonderful.

I was struck with the urge to proclaim to the Lord how thankful I was for this season, but that I am now ready to be used again. I know the Lord has used us throughout this season. But, I'm ready for something more tangible. I feel the Lord preparing me for this next season. He's been preparing me for a few weeks now. (He's always so good to do that for me) Though I have to fight the temptation to fear the upcoming season, I trust Him completely. I trust His plans to prosper us, not to harm us. I want His plans of hope and a future.

(We have decided to stay in the area for the next 3-5 years and put our home, in Cambridge, back on the market. We had planned to return to Cambridge to save money, but Gavin's employer told us that being in Boston would not be an option for us. I had specifically prayed for God to be clear on where we should be....and He certainly was. It's a very bitter-sweet decision because we really love that home. It doesn't mean we won't end up back in Cambridge, at some point, it will just be a house that suits us better if we do. If it doesn't sell then I guess we'll go back to the drawing board. Who knows?! Truly, only God does. As soon as I think I have the five year plan figured out the rug is gently pulled out from under me...back to my knees:) It is, however, a wonderfully freeing thing to be dependent on God's plans rather than our own.)

Another great thing about this weekend is that I felt like the Lord began the process of answering a prayer of mine, for friendship. I've talked before about Meredith - she is a precious mixture of so many of my dear friends; she loves the Lord; tells it like it is; she's funny and delightful; and she loves me unconditionally. She's a good friend. I'm excited about the prospects of friendship with two of her friends that she introduced me to this weekend: Linda and Megan. We had some powerful time of prayer and ministry. I'm excited and feel like these could be lasting friendships. ..we'll see:)

I came home, missing my family, but so energized! Gavin was amazed at how much energy I got from the weekend. I'm very thankful. I'm even more blessed. God is good.

4 comments:

Anna Morrison said...

sounds like a rich getaway. that is wonderful. i am glad to hear you have made some sweet connections with some gals there.
love you and wish we could have a tangible friendship like the old days. maybe someday. :)

jbro said...

I am SO glad that you were able to attend and be blessed. I am looking forward to jumping back in that friendship pool in 2 months. My dear friend I pray God continues to shower you with His blessings and surrounds you with tons of oasis spots along the journey.

You are hands down my favorite!

Trish Ryan said...

That sounds awesome and amazing and beautiful...yay God :)

And while I'll admit to being a little disappointed that He's not bringing you back to Cambridge right now, something FEELS right about you guys being in DC. Here's to the new season!

FreeK said...

I'm thankful that you had a wonderful weekend, moms need that from time to time. It helps renew you for the daily pleasure of loving your husband, your children and your work at home. It looked like a beautiful place!