Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Response to Kim:)

Kim, I don't think it's at all silly to wonder about such things. In fact, I appreciate your care. I'm always glad for your comments and input.

As you said, Obama has been working, writing and speaking to bring about One America and a United America for years. He has yielded much fruit in the pursuit of unity. I think one of the reasons he understands the need for unity is because of his spiritual training background.

---------------------------------------------------
Wikipedia describes Liberation theology as follows:

"Liberation theology focuses on Jesus Christ as not only the Redeemer but also the Liberator of the oppressed. It emphasizes the Christian mission to bring justice to the poor and oppressed, particularly through political activism."

And Black Liberation theology as:

Black theology or Black liberation theology is a Christian theology of liberation. The field of black liberation theology received its name in the 1960s and includes in its history Pan Africanists from earlier centuries who used the teachings of Christianity and/or the vehicle of the black church as foundational to their efforts for securing a self-determining existence for Africans.

Black liberation theology is theology from the perspective of oppressed people. It seeks to interpret the gospel of Jesus against the backdrop of historical and contemporary racism. The message of black theology is that the African American struggle for liberation is consistent with the gospel--every theological statement must be consistent with, and perpetuate, the goals of liberation.

This theology maintains that African Americans must be liberated from multiple forms of bondage—social, political, economic and religious. This liberation involves empowerment and seeks the right of self-definition, self-affirmation and self-determination."

---------------------------------------------------

I think his speech really explained well that the national reaction to Rev. Wright's sermons prove that the "most segregated hour in America is on Sunday mornings". It seems to me that what has been revealed in this, is that this is a very common theme in black churches across America, and we still have a long way to go in healing the hurts caused by the great sin of racism.

While Rev. Wright's convictions are shocking to anyone outside of the black church, I think it is very important for us to have understanding and grace for where the leaders of the black churches have come from, and through. The fact that Obama attended a church which promotes liberation theology (which is part of the gospel: to feed the poor, clothe the naked, care for orphans and widowed, etc.) and yet, comes out from under it with a revolutionary vision for unity and equality for ALL people, speaks to his integrity and character even more so.

He has proven that he has a unified perspective and vision for America - like you mentioned, and he has worked toward "perfecting our union" for so long. He understands that the injustices of this world are not a "black" problem. They are a problem for every American.

I think understanding liberation theology and promoting it are two different things. It would be one thing if he weren't standing up and raising his very influential voice to make a difference in this area to bring unity. Remember, too, that he got the title of his book, Audacity of Hope, from Rev. Wright. Wright did consistently speak about hope for a better future. It's a shame that he's being defined by these few damaging rants after 30 years of being respected.

I don't know if I'm addressing your disappointment, or not. Feel free to clarify if I've completely missed the point.:)

much love, dear friend.

5 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

How much do I miss our conversations? SOOOOO MUCH!!!

I'm not sure how I'm going to explain to my publicist that I need to be in DC for a full week to do one signing event, but I'm praying for some airline special that makes her call me and ask, "Do you mind staying in DC a few extra days???"

God does miraculous things, right?!?

Scott said...

I checked your blog yesterday and was surprised to see so much activity regarding Obama. Whoa! I am glad such important conversations are happening. Political campaigns serve our country well when citizens dialogue and rethink what reforms are needed.

I am also glad that white Americans are having to deal with the uncomfortable comments of Pastor Wright. I dare say his sermons do not reflect a man full of hate or divisiveness, but a man who knows the perils of putting nation before God.

I cringe, though, when others claim that God has blessed America. The genocide of Native Americans has blessed America. The African slave trade has blessed America. Misogyny has blessed America. An economic system that relies on exploitation blessed America. That God ordains any such practice is blasphemous.

Nicholas Kristoff wrote about Obama today in the New York Times. These lines stand out:

"Much of the time, blacks have a pretty good sense of what whites think, but whites are oblivious to common black perspectives. What’s happening, I think, is that the Obama campaign has led many white Americans to listen in for the first time to some of the black conversation — and they are thunderstruck."

I recommend the entire article, as it commends Obama, situates the comments and philosophy of Pastor Wright, and highlights the need for Americans to face up to and address its racist past and present.

And finally, that Christians would support a president or a candidate that promotes and defends warfare is simply unreal.

My best to your family. We sure do miss being around you all.

FreeK said...

Hi Emily,

I too think it is interesting that your posts that gain the most attention are the ones about Obama. I really think it is because he is such a dynamic speaker and he is speaking about issues that we as middle class Americans (or me and Mitch anyway) are very interested in like health care. I think that he has handled the situation with Wright brilliantly, his speech was inspirational as most of his speeches are. I really like to listen to him and when I do I find myself believing in this "Audacity of Hope" that he talks about. I still think it is going to be hard for a lot of Christians, myself included,to vote for him because of his stance on abortion and civil unions for homosexuals. I think all of us who are registered Republicans are having a hard time with this election because Obama is so charismatic and likeable, yet he still holds a lot of the liberal ideas that we have been against for so long (espcecially abortion and gay rights). McCain, on the other hand, reminds me of Bob Doyle and I am so disappointed that Republicans could not find someone to run that is more current.

That being said I want to quote a psalm that I found very comforting the other day when all of these issues were weighing on my mind: "While I live I will praise the Lord; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish. Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God." Psalm 146:2-5

We can't put our hope in a President, our hope has to be in the Lord. Whoever wins this election or the next God does not change, His love endures forever. The psalm goes on to say "Who made heaven and earth, The sea and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives food to the hungry, The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners. The Lord opens the eyes of the blind, The Lord raises those who are bowed down; The Lord loves the righteous, The Lord watches over strangers, He relieves the fatherless and the widow;...The Lord shall reign forever."

On Obama's choice in a church I still think that its odd that he sees the most segregated hour in American life coming on Sunday mornings, yet he continued to remain segregated. I've looked at the website from his church and they are intentionally black. I don't think they are unwelcoming to those of other races, but the church was never intended to be segregated Galatians 3:28 says "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Churches should be the first place where we are not intentionally white, black or brown. I don't understand why he chose a church like that and yet outwardly he preaches unity.

Finally, in response to Scott's comment on God blessing America and Christians supporting war you can find support for both in the Bible. God doesn't have to approve of everything that we do as a country to bless us. We are clearly blessed in this country. God continually blesses my life even though I continue to sin on a daily basis. I am thankful that His blessings on me and on our country are not based on works, but on His grace. And you can't look at the whole of scripture and say that God does not approve of war. Jesus is coming back to declare war on all of those who have not bowed the knee to Him. "To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:...A time for war, and a time of peace." Even thought Obama did not support this particular war, he is not a pacifist and against all wars. In the Audacity of Hope he writes "...the United States, like all sovereign nations, has the unilateral right to defend itself against attack...our immediate safety can't be held hostage to the desire for international consensus, if we have to go it alone, the the American people stand ready to pay any price and bear any burden to protect our country." I will end with that. I appreciate you, Emily and am thankful to dialogue with you and others about these things. I am thankful most of all that God is in control of everything and that we can put our hope in Him.

Scott said...

An Iraqi or Sudanese Christian would provide a different perspective on words like "blessing" and "war." It is dangerous to read scripture and form foreign policy through the lens of privilege.

I always forget those verses about God blessing America and calling Christians to arms in order to smite our enemies. Silly me.

Unknown said...

I love you, brother, you know I do, and I LOVE your perspective, but I do believe God has blessed our country, in spite of ourselves - we have certainly taken that blessing for granted and still do, which is why your reminders are extremely necessary.

I love you, my dear friends - thanks to you all for your input! All this participation really means a lot to me. I greatly value each of your perspectives.