Thursday, March 13, 2008

Still Impressed by Obama

(disclaimer: I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't go back to sleep so decided to write. Therefore, this entry is a little more fired up than my usual entry...:))



This is a third party reaction to the recent antics of the Clinton campaign. It is no mystery that our house is all abuzz with politics, and that we are huge Obama supporters, as you can see. However, my respect for him has grown over the past few weeks.

Since Hillary became the "fighter", just before Ohio and TX primaries, she has done nothing but twist facts, and hurl slanderous material out to the public. She has accused Obama of conducting himself in a "shameful" way; a way that all "Democrats should be outraged" by - all the while continuing to conduct herself and this campaign in the most under-handed, sleezy and unhonorable way I've ever witnessed.

She continues to pass out slanderous material and prey on the fears of religion, racism and sexism. However, when Obama passes out material in Ohio that is actually true - she starts whining and pitching a fit because it highlights her in a way that is detrimental to the people of Ohio. ...and then she wins Ohio?!?! Gavin and I have felt like we were taking crazy pills!!! What in the world is Ohio thinking. How can they reward these tactics? Do they really want someone who will play dirty, no matter what, to obtain this office? Is this really the kind of person we want to be running against McCain in November.....for Republicans, I would say an overwhelming YES! But, I am an Independent, an Independent that voted for Bush in the last two elections, I might add, and I say a resounding NO.

Out of sheer decency and a desire for all Americans to be treated fairly - there is NO way I could ever support Hillary Clinton. She completely repulses me and I would NEVER vote for her. I don't think this is going to be an issue, because Barack is going to continue his upward push and win this nomination - but just so ya know: Gavin, nor I, will be voting for Hillary Clinton.

From her cheap shots, to her loud mouth, ill-advised husband, refusal to concede any state to Obama, to her recent antics of suggesting Obama would be her VP, coming from a person in SECOND, and now her weak reaction to Ferraro, she has run a repulsive campaign that I'm sick of. When this race for the nomination began I had respect for Hillary. I didn't agree with her extreme stance on several issues (like wanting to make Roe vs. Wade a federal law) but I had a great deal of respect for her. She spoke well. I thought she handled herself great in the debates and came away from many of them impressed.

Clearly, any respect I had for her is gone. I can't even stand to hear her voice. I am no longer amazed by her accusations but disgusted. She is the one who should be ashamed. Shame on you, Hillary!

Gavin and I saw this segment from Keith Olbermann, from MSNBC, and finally felt vindicated. He spoke the words we have been thinking for weeks. I couldn't resist the urge to post it here.

You know, I was heart broken after the Ohio primary. When Obama came out to speak, we were, of course watching. I couldn't believe the quality of this man's character. The first thing he did was to concede Ohio and RI (which is tradition), and congratulate Hillary on running a tenacious campaign. He then talked about how he had just called McCain and congratulated him on winning the nomination. You couldn't have two starker pictures of the difference between these campaigns. She has yet to concede ANY state (he has won over double the states she has). He could have easily come out and conducted himself in a manner that would follow the tone set by Clinton. Instead, he was gracious and humble. He reminded me of the Christ-like love we are to have for our enemies. I couldn't believe it! I can't remember the last time I saw such self sacrifice. He had every right to be ugly, (they had just come off the ugliest week of campaigning from the Clinton camp) or to take this opportunity to trash her character (which wouldn't take much given her conduct), but instead he graciously submitted, and furthermore, congratulated her!

He has continued to make these very difficult decisions in the face of outright slander and mud-slinging. I'm blown away! This is the man I want representing our country. A man who knows who he is and chooses the right battles to fight.

There is no worship in this household of Barack Obama, but we do have more respect for him than any other politician, by far. His conduct and character astound me. I'm humbled by his example and encouraged to be better than I am. He inspires, and seeks to inspire the people of America. He gets the kind of reaction he does because it's been a long time since American's have been inspired.

"I'm asking you to BELIEVE. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington...I'm asking you to believe in Yours!" -Barack Obama

1 comment:

FreeK said...

Hey Emily,

Can you shed light on this thing with Obama's pastor. I tried reading Obama's blog about it today, but could not get to the second page. I would much rather read it straight from him and not the media, but until I can get through do you know any other details?
I realize that just being a member of a church does not mean you follow everything that your pastor says from the pulpit. The things that his pastor said were pretty controversial and I'm just wondering what the cost of Obama's ties to him are going to be. Since you do support him I thought you would be a good person to ask.

Kim