Friday, July 13, 2007

Great Conversations



Whenever we move, with the exception being our move to KY since we already had a network of friends set up there, it usually takes us about a year to feel adjusted. This time, it's taken about eight months. I'm already working the back way to events, and places; definitely know where the grocery stores are and which one is the most affordable; running pretty smoothly on a routine. All of this is true, even with the birth of our third daughter four months ago.

Usually the last piece of the puzzle is making friends. Though we started out of the gates strong, having Elle put that effort on the back burner. After four months of survival mode, the Lord is beginning to bring some really cool friendships back into our lives. There is even a man that Gavin is thinking about asking to be a mentor for him!

There are several families that we connected with, instantly, when we first began attending the worship services at Reston Bible Church. Just when I was ready to start looking at other worship services, these family relationships have popped back up. All three of the families have children the girls ages, which is great! And Gavin and I both connect with the husband and wife of each of the couples. I'm excited to see where these friendships go. All three couples are little older than us, but that's usually true for us, since we got married so young.

We already have our very precious friends, the Woods family, who mean a great deal to us. Sammy is a breath of fresh air for Gavin and I love having Renee in my life. She is a wonderful friend. Over the past few months we've been trying to have a girl's night out! It's been so much fun hanging out with her. Their children are adorable and have become great friends with Raegan and Reece. We try to get together with them at least twice a month, and we attend the Episcopal service where Sammy is about to become a priest!! It is a very special thing to receive communion from our dear friend.

The girls are completely adjusted and LOVE being here. Rae is involved in a great dance class at the MYB (Maryland Youth Ballet), which is a GREAT experience for her. They both go to the Little Gym for their gymnastics. Reece is a natural. She's so athletic. They both have very sweet friendships with little girls that are respectful and have parents raising them similar to how we raise our children....which is a lot more rare than you may think.

One aspect that I haven't experienced in a long while, is having some great random conversations. I have been so blessed to have some really great conversations over the past few days, completely unexpected, and with individuals I wouldn't have dreamed. The first series of convos took place on Wednesday at Rae's ballet class. All the mom's have to sit out in the hallway, and there's nothing to do (since there are no windows or glass in the door for us to peak through), except talk to each other, or sit there quietly. If you know me, you know I'm not opting for the "sit there quietly" option. Though I secretly admire those who do.:)

Two of the mom's I met the previous week were already in discussion about something theological. When I sat down they kind of apologetically explained they were having a theological debate. Oh Goody!!!!!:) I told them I was in, and just began listening to what they had to say. We talked about Christian culture - one of the mom's is working on her PhD and her thesis has something to do with how the Christian culture and American culture differ...grossly watering it down, but you get the picture.

Gavin has been exploring this very thought for over a year and we've had many discussion regarding the lack of culture for Christians, so it was a fun and challenging conversation. I loved it!! I left that conversation completely pumped up and exhilarated! I so miss having real theological discussions with other women! I can't remember having anything like that since college....that's crazy, but true!!

Later that evening I had another set of conversations with parents at the Little Gym and then yesterday at a play date .....Raegan and her friend, Emma set up:) They are best friends from school and they really do try to plan a social calendar for our families. It's SO cute:) Each of these conversations were thrilling for me. I don't know what kind of impact they had on the other participating parties, but it was a wonderful way to pass the time, for me, and really fun.

I am so blessed!! I was telling a friend of ours how, ever since we've been here, I have felt rescued. Though it is not perfect, and there are things I miss about living in Cambridge and near our families in NC, I am happy to be here as long as the Lord wants us here. We are happier than we've been, as a family, and as a couple, in a long time. Thank you, Lord. You are so good!

2 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

Yay for random conversations! Isn't amazing how a few things like that can be the final pieces in making a place "home"? It's so awesome to see how you guys are thriving down there - we can't wait to come back (and not just because we can't find that great "FB" wine up here!)

BTW, that is a gorgeous picture of you and the girls. Love it, love it, love it. God rocks :)

Sammy said...

We dig you guys, too. Thank you for your kind words. It's neat to be blogged about in such a nice way. And, might I add, it's pretty cool to administer the sacrament to people we love as much as you guys, too.