Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The tent is up.....




In light of my previous blogs, this title may seem like some kind of existential beginning to a blog....but seriously, the tent we bought today really is up..even now...in our living room...the dance area, to be specific:)

Here's the story, I'm already smiling, I found out yesterday at our worship service, that there is a Daddy and Kids camping trip this weekend. As soon as I found out I very excitedly began planning the trip, on Gavin's behalf:) Gavin stayed at home with a badly timed cold (he's in the middle of writing), so I came bouncing into the bedroom with my wonderful news! He wasn't as excited as I expected him to be about my proposal.

We talked about it for a few minutes, and though he didn't say no, he certainly wasn't jumping on the band wagon to make this happen. I fed Elle, put her down for a nap and then headed out for a girl's lunch with Rae and Roo. As we sat at lunch the excitement just ..well, overwhelmed me.

Background: Raegan has a best friend, Emma, from school,and she and Emma have been trying to plan a camping trip between our families since, oh I don't know, January? maybe before. Yes, two five year olds were trying to plan something for our families....?!?! so cute. So when I heard about this trip, I just knew she would be so excited to go!!

Back to lunch at Uno's, so I say to the girls, "Guess what?! Daddy may be taking you on a camping trip this weekend!!!!" To which Reece responds "NO.......(wait for it)...........WAY!!" and Raegan is about to jump out of the booth we are so nicely sitting in. So I tell them that Daddy is thinking about it but may need to hear how badly they really want to go, and that they should be sure to ask him when we get home.

I readily admit, this was an AWFUL thing to do to my sweet, wonderful, NOT outdoorsy husband, but COME ON!!! com'on!

So, as we're about to send the girls up to their beds for a nap, I, of course I do, remind them there is something they want to ask their daddy!!!!!;)

Gavin and I had a big laugh. I reassured him that he would thank me for it later, and that I won't make this a habit,...and he agreed to take them camping this weekend, Friday thru Sunday afternoon!!!!!!

Today was "get a tent" day. We went to Target and got some camping supplies since we have NONE, not even a flash light. When we got back home I set up the tent in the living room and the girls played in it the rest of the day.

I'm so excited!!! I wish I could be a fly in the tent while they're there. Gavin is getting excited, too. He talks about it with a smile on his face. I'm praying it is just the most amazing time together.

How cool is it to have your dad all to yourself, camping for a whole weekend?! I'm so excited....did I say that already? I'm not sure if I have adequately communicated my feelings about this coming weekend or not, but I'm pretty happy about it all. Oh, and another really great thing, is that I asked Emma's parents if they would like to join them! Isn't that great?! I hope they can come.

Now, Lord, please don't let it rain and make me repent for suckering my husband into camping when he doesn't like to camp!! Have mercy on me, Lord, really. Please let it be a weekend to remember, for all the right reasons! Thank you for a wonderful husband who is such a great sport and an even more wonderful daddy!

....I'll keep you posted.:)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Too funny! Jeremy is not the "outdoorsy" type either, but the youth at church have started a camping trip and he is continually calling Ed and I for supplies. This year when he asked for a sleeping bag for Christmas, the whole family about fell in the floor! There is hope for them yet! I hope they have a great time! Your girls are cuter every day!

Trish Ryan said...

Omigosh, that is both fabulous and hysterical! I can just see Gavin's face when you sprung this on him :) You're so right, they will have an amazing weekend together. Bless them and you. Funny how God knows what will bring us joy and connection more than we do!

LEstes65 said...

What a gorgeous family you have. And what fun fun fun!