Thursday, July 05, 2007

Eliot is born



I'm only four months behind in blogging about this. My new summer's resolution is to be a better blogger.......don't hold your breath:)

Eliot Katherine Long was born on March 7th, 7:13am. She weighed 7lbs and 1oz and was 21 inches long. Everyone that had their hands on her, from the moment she arrived, commented on how feisty she was. I was not at all surprised by this because she was very feisty even in the womb, one of the reasons we were convinced that she would be a boy! She gave me more trouble than either of my other pregnancies.

She was named after T.S. Eliot, one of Gavin's favorite poets, and Katherine, because he has always wanted a Katherine. The final reason for her name is because I couldn't stand to have another "R" name. I think it's cute when other families all have the same initials but that was never something I wanted. Reece got her name because she looked more like a Reece than a Jaden. Therefore Raegan and Reece share the same initials: REL. I didn't want Eliot to feel left out so we made it to where she shares my initials: EKL. I love that:)

Four months later, she is still feisty, and precious, and loving, and gentle, and simply amazing. This little one completely has my heart. She makes me so happy. She is a dream to hold and kiss. She's starting to reach out and grab things she wants, usually my hair, nose or the nearest toy - Gavin's nose is also quite popular. She seems ahead of the curve on everything. Already she exhibits signs of a fighter. The word I had for her as I was pregnant was "Justice". (..another reason why I assumed this would be a boy. That just seems like a word for a boy.) As I've continued to pray over her, though, that word is still in my prayers. I also throw 'a heart of compassion' in there since those normally geared to love justice aren't exactly the most compassionate lot:)

She is a beautiful combination of Raegan and Reece, also. She has Raegan's alertness and Reece's gentle heart. They are a precious three.

Reece connected with her immediately. I was afraid she would have some jealousy, as Raegan did when we brought Roo home, but she didn't have a single bit of jealousy in her at all. She welcomed Elle with open arms and hasn't gotten enough of her yet. Reece's big heart blesses me so greatly everyday, especially when I see her with her sisters. Raegan was having a hard time connecting at first because she was still in school during the day and not getting the same time with Elle as Reece had. As soon as she figured out she could hold her like a big girl, something only she could do, she was immediately hooked on her new little sister. She still LOVES to walk around holding Elle, and is completely infatuated.

We are blessed.

1 comment:

Trish Ryan said...

So gorgeous - We love your family!!! And little Eliot is enough to capture anyone's heart. Honestly, that child inspired me to read poetry for the first time. You could bring her into college English classes and pass her around for inspiration :)